Sunday, April 8, 2012

The definition of "worth while"

I have been away, learning a great lesson. It has been one of those lessons that has created internal change-not just head-knowledge, and also one that I hope will be ongoing.

Because of this lesson, I am happier and more at peace, my marriage is full of a softer care and concern, and I have more patience with my children-answers to some of my biggest struggles and concerns.

Things are not perfect, but that's probably because I am not perfect! :P But things are definitely better. I am experiencing joy and happiness and freedom that I never thought I would know. It has been so worth it!

After several months, the lesson has culminated to some degree in the following quote from the 8th president and prophet of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, which I read this morning in preparation for my weekly gospel studies class that is part of our 3-hour block of Sunday meetings.

He says: "We may have given to us, in this life, a few things that will give us satisfaction, temporally; but the things that are eternal, the things that are “worth while,” are those eternal things that we reach out for, and prepare ourselves to receive, and lay hold of by the effort that we individually make."

If you want to read more, click here! (And if you haven't, I think you really should go and keep reading!)  :)

Anyway, I can only say that through the promptings of the Holy Spirit, I have begun to:

Increase my temple attendance-going for weekly, even if it is a short trip (This has been incredible-truly, power and purpose is found in the Lord's house when it is intentionally sought),

Increase scripture study-now at least an hour in the morning (this seemed impossible at first, but God has helped it to work amazingly),

Have more sincere prayer-I now make sure to kneel-even if it is in my bed. :) (I have felt that, for me, slowing down was important, so I now take four slow breaths both before I begin to pray as well as after my prayer has closed. This has helped me to make my prayers more intentional.)

There is another aspect that has been ongoing as well-maybe another day for that-this post is already quite long.

I'll end by saying that I am so grateful for "worth whiles" and direction on how to have them in our lives. I believe God continues to lead his work through a living prophet and am so grateful for the blessings that are available through the restoration of the fullness of Christ's gospel.

Happy Easter! May you find joy in the fact that He who died for all of us rose the third day and lives!

... Ooh, look at this, a related post!

No comments:

Post a Comment