Monday, May 20, 2013

All these things in moderation

It's been awhile since I've written.

But this morning I realized more deeply a very worthwhile truth that has been pretty hard for me to grasp...

Moderation.

You don't hear many motivational speakers choosing that as their motto...can you imagine it?

"You can do it ... But don't push yourself too hard!"

"Self mastery ... But go at it slowly."

I just couldn't get my mind around it. If it's good, you do it with all you've got-if it's not, you stay as far away from it as you possibly can. (There is truth here, by the way-it just doesn't contradict moderation like I thought it did.)

God's plan for our progression is "line upon line, precept on precept." God's way is "do your best...your very best" with the understanding that this is going to be a life-long (and longer) process.

... So, I've started elliptical-ing :P about 30 minutes in the morning. At first, I couldn't do even 30 seconds. Then Ryan pointed out that maybe if I didn't start out trying to sprint I would have a better chance at sustaining my efforts.

In my extreme mind set, feeling to a degree that it was cheating, I allowed myself to go at a much slower pace. I was able to last 2 minutes, then 5, and now my current 30.

My overall pace is much faster than it used to be, but I still give myself the freedom to slow down when needed, or change my stride to the much easier reverse when what I really want to do is get off the machine and crawl back in my bed.

I am allowing myself a third option in life as well as in my exercises besides sprinting and complete failure ... trying. And in doing so, I am much better at accepting and forgiving when necessary others' efforts at "trying" as well.

It doesn't matter if we see in what way others are trying by the way. It probably looks very different from our own version of trying. What matters is the realization that we are all trying. For myself, and those around me who might need some encouragement, I am going to raise the standard of, not mediocrity, but moderation. It is one step at a time that we achieve lasting success.

In that spirit-go and do your best ... and be kind and patient with yourself!

God certainly will be. He has shown himself to be kind and patient with his children-and don't we want to be like him? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment