Wednesday, November 17, 2010

In 1980, Spencer W. Kimball, then-president of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints made the following comments:
"Your journal should contain your true self rather than a picture of you when you are “made up” for a public performance... The truth should be told, but we should not emphasize the negative."
I love this quote. I was given a journal when I was about 13 where this was written inside the front cover and it has been a great guide for me in keeping my journals. I can't help but think that it also has applications to the daily and more public communications we keep online in the form of blogs, tweets, status', and so on.
I hope in writing in this blog I have not led anyone to think that I am perfect, or that I have any illusion to being perfect. I have been brought to my knees, on many occasions in tears, over a wealth of personal pitfalls and imperfections. I am sure that many who associate with me have seen how very human and imperfect I am. I get tired, angry, sad, overly emotional... I don't know anyone traveling through this mortal experience who hasn't. After all, "We are not human beings having a spiritual experience, but spiritual beings having a human experience." (Teilhard de Chardin - I always wondered who originally wrote that)
So, I hope this blog is uplifting. The point of it really is that through all of the struggles, through all the ad-libbed, messy strife of mortality, there is much that is of worth, beautiful, inspirational, uplifting ... to quote again, "virtuous, lovely, of good report, praiseworthy." (13th Article of Faith)
Today, my worthwhiles have been,
*Continued reading in the scriptures (Found them!!!)
*Red-headed baby smiles
*Little acts of service (Really little. We're talking doing an extra load of laundry, praying for a friend in need, and making a healthy lunch for the kids. Don't think I'm holding back, this might very well be my full list of 'got dones' today!)

No comments:

Post a Comment